Saturday, March 24, 2007

Blind Person with Cane Dishcloth©

If you would like to use this or any of my patterns for Fund Raising purposes (Charity only) please email me directly at AutumnRa@gmail.com or raann@ubtanet.com for permissions.

To help raise awareness of the fact that the non-sighted or those with limited vision can be anyone and to help raise awareness of the need for research and development for visual cures, adaptive technology, and simple friendships, I have created the Blind Person with Cane Dishcloth. Soon I will also post the Guide Dog #1 and Guide Dog #2 Dishcloths. Please enjoy these free patterns. - RaAnn

Blind Person with Cane Dishcloth©
by RaAnn Clegg
(adapted from the National Federation of the Blind logo)
Materials: 100% Cotton Yarn
US Size 5
Finished Size Blocked: 8 x 9 inches
Stitches: k = knit, p = purl, yo = yarn over, ssp = slip, slip, purl together, ssk = slip, slip, knit together.

CO 40
row 1 - 4: knit across
row 5, & 7: k 3, p 34, k 3.
rows 6 & all even: knit across
row 9: k 3, p 2, yo, ssp, p 16, yo, ssp, p 8, yo, ssp, p 2, k 3.
row 11: k 3, p 2, yo, ssk, k 1, p 14, yo, ssk, p 9, yo, ssk, p 2, k 3.
row 13: k 3, p 3, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 9, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 7, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 2, k 3.
row 15: k 3, p 4, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 7, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 6, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 3, k 3.
row 17: k 3, p 5, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 6, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 6, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 4, k 3.
row 19: k 3, p 6, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 4, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 6, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 5, k 3.
row 21: k 3, p 7, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 2, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 5, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 6, k 3.
row 23: k 3, p 8, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 1, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 4, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 7, k 3.
row 25: k 3, p 8, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 1, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 4, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 8, k 3.
row 27: k 3, p 9, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 1, yo, ssk, ssk, yo p 3, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 9, k 3.
row 29: k 3, p 9, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 1, k 1, ssk, yo, p 3, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 10, k 3.
row 31: k 3, p 10, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, k 1, ssk, yo, p 2, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 11, k 3.
row 33: k 3, p 11, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 3, ssk, yo, p 13, k 3.
row 35: k 3, p 11, yo, ssk, k 2, ssk, yo, p 1, ssk, yo, p 14, k 3.
row 37: k 3, p 12, yo, ssk, ssk, yo, p 1, ssk, yo, p 15, k 3.
row 39: k 3, p 12, yo, ssk, k 4, ssk, yo, p 14, k 3.
row 41: k 3, p 10, yo, ssk, k 5, ssk, yo, p 15, k 3.
row 43: k 3, p 10, yo, ssk, k 4, ssk, yo, p 16, k 3.
row 45: k 3, p 9, yo, ssk, k 2, p 2, ssk, yo, p 17, k 3.
row 47: k 3, p 9, yo, ssk, k 2, p 2, k 1, ssk, yo, p 16, k 3.
row 49: k 3, p 9, yo, ssk, k 1, p 3, k 1, ssk, yo, p 16, k 3.
row 51: k 3, p 8, yo, ssk, k 2, p 3, k 2, ssk, yo, p 15, k 3.
row 53: k 3, p 9, yo, ssk, k 1, p 4, k 1, ssk, yo, p 15, k 3.
row 55: k 3, p 10, yo, ssk, p 1, ssk, yo, p 19, k 3.
row 57: k 3, p 11, yo, ssk, k 2, ssk, yo, p 17, k 3.
row 59: k 3, p 10, yo, ssk, k 4, ssk, yo, p 16, k 3.
row 61: k 3, p 10, yo, ssk, k 4, ssk, yo, p 16, k 3.
row 63: k 3, p 11, yo, ssk, k 3, ssk, yo, p 16, k 3.
row 65: k 3, p 12, yo, ssk, k 1, ssk, yo, p 17, k 3.
row 67 k 3, p 13, yo, ssp, yo, ssp, p 17, k 3.
row 69 & 71: k 3, p 34, k 3.
Row 72 - 74 knit across

Bind off and weave in ends.

Copyright 2007 by RaAnn Clegg. All Rights Reserved. http://wicketstitch.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Deborah said...

Hi RaAnn!

This cloth with the cane is so neat. My husband is blind & he is so supportive of my creativity with knitting. He really likes when I work on dishcloths, because he can "see" the designs. We also have so many friends that have been a support to the both of us. I'll be making several of these.

Thanks so much!

~Deb

Joan Wright said...

Thanks you so much for the lovely pattern. There are many knitters out there who will appreciate this one as much as I will. I have a couple dear friends who are nearly blind and they love my dishcloths. Now I can make one "just for them". Love your blog./

Norma said...

Thank You for this design! I appreciate it very much.

Norma said...

Hi,

I have posted a link to this pattern at my website:
http://dishandwashclothmania.wordpress.com/
When you post the patterns for the Guide Dogs they will also be linked from there. Thank you for the great posts about the issue of blindness and vision loss.
Norma

Kacie Weldy in Indiana said...

Hello! This is soooo awesome! PLEASE post the pattern to the guide dogs dish cloths!

Also, I would like to ask your permision- not sure if this is the right place to do it, to make some of these and the guide dog ones to be sold for fundraising for the Indiana Deaf Blind Association? I am the secretary/treasurer and we are a very small org, working on fundraising and growing to work with the people who are deaf and blind.

I use a cane myself, but as you said, it's not always someone completely blind. LOL you should have seen the people around me last weekend when I was weedeating for 8 hrs on a church mission trip in eastern KY, and then walking with the cane that night because I am completely night blind and have very restricted peripheral fields. Though my central vision is fine *knocking on wood* for now.

But back to the question, we will be having a booth at the Blind Expo next year (just had one this year last weekend while I was gone and it was the first time our president had gone) and we are looking for fundraiser items and since I've just recently taken up knitting, I was on the look for the I Love You ASL sign dishcloth that I'd found in a seach a while back and came across this. :)

Thank you again for doing this!

Kacie

Please Do Not post my patterns elsewhere on the internet, free or otherwise, without permission. Do Not sell electronic copies or hard copies of my patterns. The rights to all the patterns, recipes, personal images poems and stories on this site are owned by RaAnn Clegg unless otherwise tated.

Wicket Stitch is copyrighted 2007 - 2010 by RaAnn Clegg. All Rights Reserved.